top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Contact me!

  • Does Compassion Child & Family Counseling take insurance?
    All services are private pay. Compassion Child and Family Counseling does not accept or bill insurance. Statements/Superbills can be provided at any time.
  • Where can I get a superbill?
    At any time you can print out a “superbill” from your portal (or one can be provided for you) and file it with your insurance company for possible out of network or single case agreement benefits. A superbill will show your name (or your child’s name), number of sessions, diagnosis, service code, my name and credentials, and CCFC’s address. Please be aware that this means that personal mental health information will be provided, by you, to the insurance company. If you receive reimbursement please keep in mind that your insurance company may require more information and they will determine when therapy will no longer be covered. If you need a superbill please let me know in advance so that I can make sure there is a diagnosis on the superbill.
  • When do I need to pay for my session?
    All fees are due at the time of service. Some clients prefer to “pay ahead”, meaning they prefer to pay a month at a time, which is no problem and will place a credit on your account.
  • What is the recommended form of payment?
    The recommended method of payment for all services is by credit card, which includes HSA and FSA cards. Once your card has been entered into CCFC’s secure system your card will not need to be reentered unless you need to change the way you pay. If you need to change the way you pay please do so in advance of your next appointment. You can also pay for services in cash. Please keep in mind that the exact amount is needed as cash is not kept onsite for change.
  • What if a third-party is paying for my services?
    If you are using a third party to pay for your services, i.e. church, a friend or family member, or a parent paying for a young adult, the following will need to be done in advance: 1. Fill out a Release of Information giving me permission to contact them if needed 2. Require them to keep a credit card on file and pay in order to pay in advance
  • What if I can't afford therapy?
    If you are facing difficult circumstances and cannot pay your entire fee please let me know and we can discuss payment options. If I am unable to provide a payment arrangement that works for you I will earnestly work with you to find a more affordable therapeutic situation.
  • What if my child or teen doesn’t want to come to therapy?
    It is common for children or teens to be nervous about new experiences. Sometimes this shows up as a refusal to attend. Validate their worries and encourage them to try it out. Show them my website and picture and let them learn a little bit about me. In all my years of being a counselor I haven’t had a child or teen decide they don’t want to come back after the first session. And remember, you are the parent and you know what’s best. If your child is being scheduled for play therapy I will review how to tell them about play therapy at the first parent meeting.
  • Will I be able to regularly communicate with my child's therapist?
    Parent communication is a vital part of the therapy process. I welcome your input, feedback, and questions. While your child is in therapy I will schedule a parent session at least once a month. In between parent sessions your child’s portal is great tool for effecient communication. If I cannot address your needs through the portal or if you desire to meet in person we can schedule an additional parent session at any time.
  • Do you provide psychological evaluations?
    Psychological evaluations are conducted by PhD level psychologists. Psychological evaluations are excellent tools for providing diagnosis needed for clarification of behavioral symptoms, developmental issues, neurological problems, educational services, learning disabilities, and/or medication. Should your child need a psychological evaluation I will work with you to secure a referral as well as provide follow up treatment for your child as part of the recommendations made in the evaluation.
  • Do you prescribe medication?
    Medication can only be prescribed by an MD (Medical Doctor). Medication can be a useful adjunct therapy for children, teens, and adults with a variety of symptoms and/or diagnosis. I highly recommend initial evaluations for medication be conducted by a psychiatrist. I will work with you to secure a referral to a psychiatrist and provide follow up psychopharmacetical education and support.
  • Are there any special documents needed in divorce situations?
    CCFC specializes in working with children and families with children. Therefore, please be advised that if a child is the product of divorce I will need a stamped copy of your divorce decree at the initial parent session in order to ensure consent to treatment for the child is signed off by a parent with that right. I cannot provide services to minors without this consent.
  • Will you testify in my divorce case?
    If I am working with your child in therapy and you are divorced or file for divorce during the course of treatment it is imperative that you understand that I cannot testify in court regarding the custody and care arrangements between divorcing parents. In Texas only a court certified custody evaluator can provide this service and I AM NOT a custody evaluator. If you are looking for a therapist to support your case in a custody situation please do not schedule an appointment with me. Also, please be aware of my fees in your informed consent for court costs should I or you/your child’s records be subpoenaed.
bottom of page